Monday, June 25, 2012

The More than Enough

How many times have you thought, "I'm a good person, I follow God, so why is my life turning out this way?" Or maybe you've thought it about others? I know I for sure thought it when my mom got diagnosed with cancer and died so quickly. I definitely thought it as I watched the painful end. I read the story of King Hezekiah of Judah before, but today it especially touched me. You can read it here: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2%20Chronicles%2031:20-32:23&version=NIV. Anyway, note that Hezekiah was good and right and faithful before the Lord his God. He also undertook everything (service in God's temple and obedience to the law & commands) with a heart seeking God and working wholeheartedly. Sound like a guy who "deserved" to get his kingdom attacked? Not so much... So, Sennacherib comes into the picture, cocky and confident that he will be able to capture Judah, just like he has captured many other cities under the reign of other gods. Except, he doesn't realize that the Lord God of Jerusalem is not just any other little-g-god. His plan fails, His army is annihilated, he retreats to his own town and his own god's temple, where his kids kill him. How many times have I depended on something of this world to save me? How many times have I been deceived that I can do it on my own, or modern medicine can prove to be a fix (not that there's anything wrong with modern medicine), or I just need to "X" or have "X" and I'll be safe, I'll be complete? Hezekiah kept his focus. His people kept their focus. And they were blessed. Far too often lately, I've been trying to do life on my own, merely squeezing in a little prayer at the end of the bed and then falling asleep on God. Far too often lately I've been looking to my own devices to make me feel ok: my exercise regimine, my husband, my kiddo's smile, an entertaining book to let my mind escape. All that is good and fine and has it's own place, but I've been making myself, my pleasure, my hopes & ideals a god. I am so selfish. I am so thankful God is good enough to remind me of my need for Jesus as a Savior. I've been deceived that I deserve my rest and relaxation more than I need my time with the Lord. Thank You, God for the humbling reminder that time with You is better and that keeping my focus on You in the midst of trials brings blessing. You are SO good!

No comments:

Blog Archive