Thursday, June 28, 2012

Hannah

This morning I read the story of Hannah, a story I haven't read in a long time. It's found in 1 Samuel 1-2. Background: Hannah's hubby, Elkanah also has another wife, Peninnah. Peninnah had kids, but Hannah had none, even though she wanted them desperately. It is noted that Elksnah "loved" Hannah (not noted about Peninnah) and he brought Hannah double portions of meat. Peninnah would provoke Hannah to the point of tears and loss of appetite. I can only imagine what she said to Hannah; my guess is is had something to do with how she had children and Hannah didn't. Hannah cried out to God in her anguish and told Him that if she ever had a child, she would dedicate him to the Lord. The priest thought she was drunk because he could see on her face how heartfelt her prayer was. So, Hannah and Elkanah go on their way, and v20 says, "in the course of time Hannah conceived and gave birth to a son. She named him Samuel, saying, 'Because I asked the Lord for him.'" Hannah didn't go up to Shiloh to make the annual offering with Elkanah, but said she would go later once the child was weaned. My footnote says it was common in that part of the world to nurse a child to the age of three or longer because their was no to keep the milk sweet. Hannah weans Samuel, takes him to the priest (Eli, the one who saw her praying) and dedicates Samuel to the service of the Lord. "So now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life, he will be given over to the Lord. And he worshiped the Lord there." (v28) Hannah then prays a beautiful prayer in ch. 2 of thanksgiving and praise to God. Here's the part that really stood out to me: Hannah gave this long-awaited child to the Lord. She literally left him with Eli to help him with his priestly duties and to be trained up in the Lord. A 3 (or 4? Or 5?) year old. Wow. It's so hard for me to imagine that. Here's the thing, though: Hannah's joy was not in the child but in the Lord who answered her prayer. She knew Samuel belonged to the Lord, that he was a gift on loan to her from God. She dedicated her son fully to the cause of the Lord without any hesitation because she was overjoyed at what the Lord can do. I have to be honest, I think I'd be holding on pretty tight. But the fact is, Zooey too is God's kid on loan to me. I am responsible for training her up in the way she should go and then letting her go to do God's work. Even now, He is working in her heart. Even before she was born, He had something in mind for her to do with her life that will glorify Him. Although it is hard, I am called to entrust her to Him 100%, because He loves her and dreams bigger for her than I ever could. My prayer is that God will help me to raise her in Him and to let her go when it's time.

No comments:

Blog Archive