Saturday, August 20, 2011

The "New" Normal

The funeral is over, visiting family members have gone home, the flowers have died, the urn has been picked up and sits at my dad's; so now what? Now we must begin what my friend termed the "new normal." The big events take us to a new normal, don't they? Births, weddings, divorces (for some of us), deaths...all these things leave us with a life, good or bad, that's different than it used to be. The thing I think I am finally beginning to realize after facing each of these big events is that there is One consistent: God.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stand forever." Isaiah 40:8

God never fails to provide physically, spiritually & emotionally for His children. Although He blesses us immensely with relationships, food, shelter, clothing and all our other needs, it is clear that when we accept Christ as our Savior, we are blessed beyond measure with a treasure that never tarnishes or wastes away...even though all the things and people He gives us are amazing, we can be comforted to know that even if they are all taken away, He HIMSELF is what we were made for.

"And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, & your Father knows that you need them. But seek His kingdom & these things will be given to you as well. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions & give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near & no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Luke 12:29-34

God never changes; His Word never changes. Because of this, all His character traits can be counted upon all the time. He is always Fair, Just, Compassionate, our Defender, Comforter, Redeemer, Long-Suffering, All-Knowing, Shepherd, Good, Love.

As a person who hates change takes awhile to adjust to change, this is a HUGE comfort to me. I am trying to adjust to a "new normal," getting back into my daily routine and doing little things like going to the gym, having a consistent time of day to have my quiet time with the Lord, cooking dinner, etc. All these things actually bring comfort to me, too, because I am a person who finds comfort in routine and stress relief in exercise. But the greatest comfort of all is that I can open up my Bible and bow my head to the King of Kings who's intimate enough to hold me close and to know that if all the other stuff and people change in an instant, He remains.



You Remain, Jennifer Knapp

Though I am poor and needy
My Shelter You'll be
Not by my merit lead me
To where You say

Waste my time on lover's quarrels
Speed my breath and hope to stumble
Out of my distrain and still

You Remain

My Wall my Mighty Tower
Be my Shadow come cover me
Till all my enemies cower
Jealous of my King

Though the day be laced with trouble
Be the stone o'er which i stumble
Straight into the arms and stay

Where You Remain

They said to me i would fall by the wayside
Answer me now
Answer me now

The fatherless we may be weary
Be our Peace and do not tarry
Wait we will for Your Joy

Be my Portion promised me, O Lord

May I be forever
Where You Remain
You remain

Where You...
Where You remain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are wise Amber...very, very wise... :)

I knew you adapt and adapt you have, beautifully might I add.

nancy

Blog Archive