Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Holy Developmental Leap, Batman!

I love to read others' parenting stories and adventures on the interwebs, and I also enjoy following certain blogs. I have found much good advice, funny anecdotes and relatable stories. About a month ago I purchased a book which I had read several mommies rave about, and of course, I love to read and gain as much good wisdome as I can. It's called "The Wonder Weeks: Eight predictable, age-linked leaps in your babies development characterized by the three C's (Crying, Cranky, Clingy), a change...and the new development of skills." I bought the book after Zooey had already gone through two leaps, the first "wonder weeks," at ages 5 and 8 weeks, and I wish I had purchased it sooner. Looking back at those ages, she was super fussy, and there were times nothing seemed to comfort her. I ended up carrying her around or wearing her in the Moby to get her to calm or nap many days. I just chalked it up to gas or to a growth spurt or the witching hour. I'm glad I have it for this leap, labeled in the book as the longest leap, sometimes lasting up to 6 weeks! I don't think her leap will last that long, but it's starting, and thanks to this book I have understanding of why she's being more fussy and what's going on in that little brain of hers. For most babies, this leap starts around 14-16 weeks and lasts through their 19th week. Zooey turned 16 weeks old on Monday. Starting Sunday night, she's been fussy and crying when I put her down for bedtime - she never does this (well, at home anyway). She's also been less interested in eating the last few days, instead prefering to stop and smile or look around. When I put her down for her independent playtime, she squaks madly or whines until I come pick her up. She stops and just stares into space or looks at something; she isn't smiling or laughing as much, it's as if she's just simply taking everything in and pondering over it. This would also probably explain the obsession with her hands. I think one of the new skills she's trying to master is bringing objects to her mouth (including getting her finger/thumb). She's started to do really well during tummy time, pushing herself up and holding herself up, looking around for quite awhile. She'll go from being smiley to crying and back again. All these things, the book explains, are signs of a major developmental leap. Zooey is learning new skills: physical, vocal, cognitive. By the end of this "leap" she will notice transitions in her day more, her movements will be more fluid, her babbling more organized. It's really pretty amazing all the changes that will take place. I am finding that the knowledge of these leaps is making it easier for me to "deal" (for lack of a better word) with her fussiness and cliginess. I understand this time what's going on that is making her fuss like this, and thanks to the suggestions in the book, I have a better idea of how to comfort her and also encourage her newfound skills and knowlege to blossom. I'm less uptight about her crying and am more empathetic. I am really trying to put myself in her shoes. I imagine what her brain is going through is similar to studying new information all day in class and getting brain overload. This makes people crabby! Or if I had to learn a new skill, like when I rode my bike in clipless pedals and kept falling over - it was tough and very frustrating. But once the learning ends, we have the knowledge and have good control over the skill, we are much happier people. The next few weeks will probably be rough, but then Zooey will be more confident and be her bright, sunshine-y self once again.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I may need to get this book- Jaden has been such an easy baby- and still is although he is def. becoming more and more vocal and Ty keeps me on my toes, always guessing as to why he is fussy...interesting!

Blog Archive