Saturday, November 17, 2012

Three: Fun, Full of Attitude and Joy

Zooey is now in month two of being three, and oh my gosh - it is so much fun, but she also has moments where I think someone swapped my sweet, easy going little girl with another child, a child who has a major attitude problem. When people call it the "terrible twos" my mom always laughed and called it the "horrible threes." I get it now. When she turned three, it was like a switch was flipped attitude-wise which injected our days with temper tantrums, meltdowns, stubborness and the word "NO!" more than I have ever seen.

That being said, three is, like I mentioned, so much fun! Zooey is such a little girl now. She runs like a little kid, her mannerisms are more like a little kid, she just looks like a little girl. So cute! She is more empathetic (she always has been but is growing even more in this area) and will babies, even on TV, "It's ok, baby" when they cry. If Ryan or I am sick, she'll give us a pat on the back and say "It's ok." She's very loving. She's starting to play with her friends instead of being side by side. It is so cute! She is also very independent, which is neat to see (and also frustrating at times - see above). :) She likes to put her own shoes on (when she feels like it), take her own jacket off, get things for herself, like snacks or her art supplies and attempts to fix/figure out toys on her own before coming for help.

She is talking so much more. She is more intelligible by others now. She is using lots of four and even some five word sentences. She likes to tell me the sequence of our days, and she'll tell me if something is missing. My favorite thing to listen to is when she talks about her Bible or she prays. She will sit down at a meal or snack and fold her little hands and say, "Thank You, God." She says "Amen" at the end of prayer time. Sometimes she will pray in the back seat and I will hear "Thank You, God...Mommy...Daddy..." in her words. She loves to play with the kid's Bible app on my phone. She always asks to go to church. It is so neat to see that the investment we're making is paying off spiritually, and I love to see what God is already working in her little heart.

Zooey loves art, coloring, gluing, attempts to cut things with scissors, chocolate (oh my gosh everything is about chocolate!), gum, babies. She likes to play pretend things with her babies, changing their diapers and feeding them. She likes to talk on the phone. She likes puzzles and games on my phone and can find them herself. She likes running and dancing and loves music.

Zooey doesn't like the doctor, water on her face, holding hands, and she has some sort of issue with people in public, although I don't know what it is. She yells "No people!" repeatedly when we're out. It's not all the time, and I'm trying to figure out what the deal is. Any ideas?

She is stubborn, but not strong-willed, really. She doesn't like to get in trouble and doesn't challenge too much most of the time. All of her caregivers at church, speech, BSF and Mother's Day Out say she is very well behaved and obedient. They all say she is very bright, and the only issue we've had is her sitting still (but she's three!).

She is such a joy, and even in the frustrating moments, it is neat to watch her grow and change and see the little person she's becoming. I try to put myself in her shoes and realize that being three must be tough sometimes - she understands SO much but is still so limited in the things she can accomplish on her own, even though she wants to so badly. I am so thankful God gave her to our family.








No comments:

Blog Archive